Saturday, August 16, 2008

Nice Display

This morning I enjoyed a peaceful morning sitting outside at my friend's house, leaning back, breathing in fresh morning air. It really is so good, so needed, so amazing to just sit and do absolutely nothing sometimes. I really needed that this morning, and it helped.

At one point my eyes were fixed on an object in front of me. It was a fountain that was turned off. I looked at it, saw the base of it about half-full of water. My initial thought was, "It looks like it needs more water." It made me think, as most things do. I thought, there are times in our lives when we are a bit dry... we know we're supposed to have more water, and we want to have more water. But until that happens, what should we do? I think sometimes we behave like fountains. Once it is turned on, the water begins to flow, up up up and out the top, spraying beautifully into the next level, and further down to the next level, and the next, until the water returns to the bottom basin, and is recycled again back through the same process. It suddenly looks like the fountain is teeming with life. Anyone who passes by even stops to admire its full beauty. I think we have ways of making things look like they are going well. Many of us are able to manipulate what we have to pretend like things are better than they are. Or, taking it from another angle, we are able to make the most of what we have, turning something seemingly dry and empty into something great. But it's the former thought that was at the forefront of my mind as I sat there this morning. I thought... no matter how much water I spray around, there is still only the same amount of water in me as when the fountain was off. What is in me has not changed... only how I project it to others has.

I need to be watered.

2 comments:

Nathan Stitt said...

so you made it home safely i take it?

Amber said...

yep. should have a cell phone in the next few days. then i'll call to talk. i want to hear how teaching's going.