Saturday, August 30, 2008

Job Update

I decided not to stay with the job that started on Tuesday. It was a bad fit for me, too much of approaching people, sales sales sales. This new job I got yesterday is as an insurance agent for a company that sells supplemental health/life insurance to union workers. Being the only health insurance company in the U.S. that is itself unionized, it is the only one in this market (since unions usually only buy the services of other union companies when possible), so business keeps growing, and is stable since it's been around since 1924. The downside is it'll be a while till I get a paycheck, since I first have to dish out some money to take training classes and then take the state exam to get my license. Then go through 2 or so weeks of training learning the presentation and how to make appointments, etc. But as soon as I get that down, I'm able to meet with people and sell stuff, which means paycheck for me. What's better about this job than the last is that the people have already said they're interested. They got something in the mail from their union, and filled out a card if they wanted to find out more info and look into supplemental benefits and mailed that in to us. So I will be calling them back, setting up an appointment to meet with them in their home, and going to meet with them and see if they really do want extra insurance or not.

Yes, it is not exactly up my alley. But in the mean time no one else responds to me except these kinds of jobs, so I don't think it's wise to sit around unemployed because I'm being picky. I'll give it a couple months and see if it's a good fit for me and bringing in enough money to pay the bills. If not, I've written another song or two recently, so I can always play my guitar on street corners. Hey... that actually sounds really nice...

It's Labor Day weekend. What are you up to? I'll hopefully meet up with a friend and her family to chill... then do some online training to get ready to take the licensing exam. I know, CRAZY fun. Side note: you should be following the Cubs if you haven't been. I've been predicting they'd win it all this year since about 3-4 years ago. Those of you who've talked to me about the Cubs in that time know this to be true. So mark my words.

1 comment:

Nathan Stitt said...

There's nothing wrong with being picky on jobs. The right one will come your way eventually, and these sales jobs are not exactly enjoyable, though they usually pay the bills. The biggest concern is that the in-between job prevents you from finding one that you'd actually enjoy doing.

So what to do? There's a few possibilities, but I'm not really sure what the market is like in your area or what you really want to do. Also, make sure it's not a scam job. You mention you actually have to pay money up front for training or something. There are a few things around the area here that cost you money upfront and the job is a dead end scam. Be careful.