Thursday, September 4, 2008

Scatterbrained

Does anyone else do these things, or just me? Yesterday I was leaving the store that I will potentially become an assistant manager at, if all goes well (since I haven't technically started the new job I got... I decided to pursue this when they showed interest in hiring me). I was just finalizing my conversation with the store manager. She was wishing me well, and I was thanking her for the chance to come by and observe how the store operates... so then she said bye and I said bye and thanks... and then as the door was half-closed, I heard her say something else. So I kinda grabbed the door and looked back and said, "Sorry? I didn't catch that." And she just looked back, still smiling, and said, "Oh nothing, I was just saying goodbye and take care." So now I'm standing there holding the door...

...

"Oh yeah. Okay, yeah you too. Bye!"

Awkward. Then the other day I was leaving WalMart. You know how they have someone check your receipt on your way out the door? Well, I come along with my stuff, hand the nice man my receipt, and I ask him "How you doin?" While he puts a yellow marker streak across my receipt, he answers, "I'm doin' well. How's everything going for you?" And as he is handing me my receipt, I answer back, "I'm doing well, thanks. How are you?"

... I had apparently forgotten that I already asked him that. Instead of just staring back at me with a blank expression, which I would've expected, the man was kind enough to just re-answer my question... "I'm doing well. Take care, Miss."

It's not that I wasn't paying attention to him. I'm not one of those people who asks a question and doesn't wait for or listen to the answer. I just really wanted to make sure he knew that I was interested in how his day was going... so I asked him twice... (?) This doesn't happen often with me, but from time to time I get these moments of just not communicating well with people. How you doin? Good, you? Yes, I'm good too. How about you? No? You don't want to play this game? Come on, it'll be fun! Watch, now I'll tag you and run around the building and you'll have to chase me.

2 comments:

Nathan Stitt said...

Brace yourself, this is what happens when you finish college. Hint: it's called getting old.

BTW, we should chat on the phone sometime soon, or IM would work too.

Amber said...

i agree. i'll give you a ring sometime, maybe this weekend. i haven't spoken to you at all since i've been back. that definitely needs to change.